In my review of the HTC Tilt2 from AT&T, I mentioned how much I love the Opera Mobile browser. There’s just one problem, however: when I try to browse on a wifi network, Opera wouldn’t work, instead giving me an error message indicating that it couldn’t find a proxy server.
The good folks over at XDA-Developers Forum have a solution:
Apparently, Opera is configured out of the box to use a specific proxy server, which is only available when the phone is operating on AT&T’s data network. If you try to connect through wifi, your phone can’t access the server, so Opera won’t work.
Here’s how you fix it:
- Open your Opera Mobile browser.
- Type “about:config” without quotes into the address bar.
- Scroll down until you see “Proxy.” Click on it.
- When the Proxy section expands, uncheck every box and tap “Save.”
- Close and restart Opera Mobile.
You should now be able to browse using Opera Mobile regardless of whether you are on data or wifi.